Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What are the best type of brushes for oil painting?

i heard something about hog?? bristle brushes being good





are synthetic brushes good for oil





can you use the same type of brush for both acrylic and oil paintWhat are the best type of brushes for oil painting?
Hog bristle brushes are just that - made from hog bristles. They are stiff and hold a lot to paint and I use them a LOT to block in the big areas of color. I use the filbert shape and then the fans to blend. Then I go in with Silver Brand Ruby Brushes (available at jerrysartarama.com) again filbert shape - sizes 4 and 2- and a little number 1 Round brush for details.. That's just me, but it sure works. One more thing, hog bristles are a natural fiber and will absorb water so they will work for acrylic because they are tough and stiff and can deal with acrylic paint but will get waterlogged if you rinse them a lot while painting. To get a good selection of hogs see cheapjoes.com and look for his ';Hawgs';.What are the best type of brushes for oil painting?
red sable.
red stable , horse hair treat it right
I am hard on my brushes so I buy natural bristle brushes both long and short more often than my others. For my detail work, I use smoothe synthetics... they give me more fine lines.... I have also done entire paintings with just my palette knife and a torn piece of cardboard. I encourage you to experiment, and find new avenues to apply the paint to the surface!





here is a website of a brush chart...


this distributor has fairly decent prices as well...


http://www.dickblick.com/categories/brus鈥?/a>





best of luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment