Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cleaning an Oil Painting over 30 Years old?

I have a painting my father did before I was born when he was in College. This painting was stored in my Aunts Basement for about a year and her cats pee'd on it. The stain is only seen from certain agles but I know its there I would love to clean it. Is there anyway I can without destroying the painting?





Thank you.Cleaning an Oil Painting over 30 Years old?
Ain't easy, and with cat pee! Wipe it down with a damp cloth. First then evaluate the urine damage and put peroxide 50/50 with water on it using a spray bottle. Dry the damaged side facing the sun preferably when the sun is high, (10am-2pm). After you've dealt with that cleaning the piece requires varnish removal or general cleaning and varnishing. I'm not sure what you need but all could help. Have a professional look at it to determine whats needed. Varnish it after you're done!Cleaning an Oil Painting over 30 Years old?
Because there is ammonia in cat urine, I would suggest not trying to clean it yourself.


Many amateurs don't varnish when they finish a painting, and some do it for effect, so you really need a professional to determine what will work.


It is rather expensive, but maybe not so much in your area.


Call a local museum and ask about art restoration and cleaning. Or ask some people in the antique business if they know of someone.


It can be cleaned, but not by you.
30 years old and urine on it for about a year...the paint was dry...not rocket science...use some 409 and a soft cloth. This doesn't have to be so difficult.
Oh, my! Please be careful. I would suggest you use a very soft cloth and Winsor %26amp; Newton Artists' Picture Cleaner available at http://www.dickblick.com/zz004/27/





And, as the first answerer said, a good airing in the sunlight would be the best and most conservative way to treat the smell.
after whatever method you decided using, you do not have to necessarily varnish it. many artists amateurs or not do not use varnish, in many cases because varnish flattens the image and gives a bothersome shine.
  • web development
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment