Saturday, February 27, 2010

High quality oil paints and brushes and materials?

I used to draw as a child and teenager and then I stopped. I took an art class in college and enjoyed painting. I want to pick it up again and learn as I go. I want use quality materials.High quality oil paints and brushes and materials?
I would either go to an art supply store or use an online store. Winsor Newton makes really good oil colors. Cheap Joes and Dick Blick are art supply stores online. They are very helpful to talk to on the phone.High quality oil paints and brushes and materials?
Well personally I use Rembrandt Extra fine oil although there are other brands out there - Extra fine oils have a High concentration of pigments and the grinding is very fine - I love Rembrandt's oils especially for the richness and intensity of the colors (see my paintings in the link below)





However, extra fine oils don't come cheap and some colors/pigments are more expensive than others like whites and cadmium yellows for instance. Since white can sometimes be used in large quantity like to paint skies or such I find it is useful to keep a large tube of white of a lesser quality for mixing with other colors to be applied on large surfaces and keep a small tube of extra fine Titanium or zinc white to be used for details, luminous spots or again for the rare occasions when pure white is needed - Otherwise you'll go through your Extra fine paint tube very quickly and you'll find your hobby quite an expensive one.





Additionally you'll need a basic set of Hog bristle and Sables (or synthetic fibers) brush of different sizes and shape - You can buy more eventually as you go along - Good oil painting brushes should have fibers that are hardwearing, secure and tight fitting.





You will also need Distilled turpentine or mineral white spirit or again an oderless thinner (I use a natural citrus based thinner) which doesn't have that turpentine nasty smell yet works jut as good. Oderless thinner is especially usefull is you have a small studio space or again if your studio is at home. However despite that the oder is less distubing, proper ventillation is still required.





Finally but not least you'll need some lindseed oil. Cold-pressed linseed oil is probably the finest quality but refined linseed oil does just aswell. I use refined linseed oil mosty, I'd say 90% of the time but I also keep a bottle of (more expensive) poppy oil when I'm working with whites or paintings that has a lot of pale colors (because linseed oil tends to yellow when dry ) However keep in mind that poppy oil tends to crack when dry if used in too large quantity. So it is to be used with moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment