Saturday, February 27, 2010

How to paint with Reeves oil paints?

I just wanted to play around and paint a little bit, so I bought a set of Reeves oil paints. I know they're not high quality and all of that, but again, I'm just trying to occupy some time, and I've used their acrylics before, and they're very cheap!





Anyway, I need some tips on painting with oil. I've ready many other Yahoo Answers results, but can anyone just simply answer me how to use these paints... what does it mean that I need to mix them with a ';medium'; and turpentine or something like that...? What does that do to the paint? And how to do I make a wash? I read on one result that a red wash was a good wash to start with, I get the idea that this covers the canvas, but do I just dilute the paint with... well I'm not sure! Please help! I'm an absolute beginner with oil painting! So far I have canvas and the Reeves set, I've got to go tomorrow to the craft store so I can buy brushes and turp or whatever then!How to paint with Reeves oil paints?
http://www.guidetooilpainting.com


http://www.squidoo.com/oil-painting-begi鈥?/a>


http://painting.about.com/od/oilpainting鈥?/a>How to paint with Reeves oil paints?
I start with a wash; ultramarine blue or umber plus turps to lay in the dark areas of the composition. Then a medium colour wash then a light yellow wash for the light areas. After that you use thicker and thicker paint as you build up your image. Always work from dark to light and from thin to thick. So your final touch will be a white brushstroke straight from the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment