Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oil painting--Paint Thinner Question?

Hi, I had a question about paint thinner for oil paint. I bought a large bottle of it, and I also bought a bin to wash my brushes in. On the back of the bottle, it warns about being toxic and everything. How would I dispose of my old paint thinner and what should I do about keeping it in my house? ( I have cats ) I don't want to leave it open where it could harm my cats.Oil painting--Paint Thinner Question?
Keep old paint thinner in tightly closed glass or metal containers, I use a large glass jar. You should always use thinner sparingly, so you don't have much waste. Over time the paint solids fall to the bottom of the thinner and you can pour off the top into new clean jars to be reused. It gets less and less affective as you reuse it though. To dispose of thinner entirely, you should contact your local department of waste, they usually have a place where you can pay to drop off toxic chemicals like old paint cans and used thinner.Oil painting--Paint Thinner Question?
store it in a air tight, metal jar, in a high cabinet so your cats can't reach it. just throw it in the dumpster to dispose of it.
Whenever I use paint thinner for painting and I have some left over, I either pack it away for later and save it for one of my next painting projects or I put it down the drainer. I know, I thought it was wierd too, but my art teacher told me to. I think the best thing you can probably do is save it , unless, like the containers of it I use get really dirty from all the paint, pour it down the drain. Other than that, keep what you can save. About it being toxic, that's very true, never paint in your room with the door closed either, that can make you dizzy. Also the paint thinner if it gets in your skin over the years you conitinously use it, it can really damage your nerves and that's not good at all so be careful about that. Never leave your paint thinner open. Whenever I use it, I poor some from the big can into a small container that I can use and close it up after I'm finished with it so I can take it out and use it another day, or few days that I'm working on a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment