Saturday, February 27, 2010

How can i make my oil paints softer?

i need to know what i can add or do to my oil paints to make them softer. they are kind of old and they still work but they are stiff and hard to use. they came with a picture and i can't buy new paints of the same colors. i really need to know cause i don't want to waste them. i go to the store in less then an hour so someone please tell me. thanks.How can i make my oil paints softer?
Buy a bottle of refined linseed oil, and a bottle of odorless mineral spirits (Turpenoid is great).


In a babyfood sized jar, mix the oil and solvent in equal parts.


This is your 'medium'.





When mixing your paints on the palette, add just a drop or two (very sparingly) of your medium, and you will add fluidity to your oil paint.


Add a greater amount of medium to achieve transparent affects (called glazing), though this is NOT recommended in the early stages of a painting.


Rather, glazing is meant to modify areas in the final stages.How can i make my oil paints softer?
I also would suggest linseed oil. You pour a drop or two directly onto your paint and it really, really helps. You can find it at any craft store for under $10.00.





Daniel D, I appreciate your glazing tip. I will have to try that.
  • web development
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment