Saturday, February 27, 2010

What is the best way to wrap a 48x60'' oil painting so I can safely deliver it in a car from house to campus? ?

I am turning in an oil painting that's rather large for what I usually work with and I want to make sure that no dust particles get on it....I really really don't want it to get hit or smashed!!!! Is bubble wrap or cling wrap the best way to go? Thanks!!!!What is the best way to wrap a 48x60'' oil painting so I can safely deliver it in a car from house to campus? ?
Depending on distance and abuse, I would cut a piece of cardboard, pegboard or masonite to the exact outer dimensions of the face and frame (I am assuming it is framed) then wrap it with brown paper to seal out the dust. The flat material will keep the face from being penetrated.


If it is a canvas, unframed, then I think it is a whole lot trickier, depending on how soft the paint still might be. You may have to build a frame or box around it to keep the image from being touched.What is the best way to wrap a 48x60'' oil painting so I can safely deliver it in a car from house to campus? ?
If dry, bubble wrap and gentle handling will do the job. Oh, and drive carefully.
Mike's answer is the best. Bubble wrap has been known to stick to oil paintings and so can do damage rather than protect!
Laying flat in a cargo trailer (enclosed) comes to mind. I'm guessing that if you are worried about dust it's not dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment