Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oil painting (roughly 2ft by 1ft) - how much should it cost to frame?

Just looking for a rough estimate. I appreciate the cost will vary depending on the type of frame, but how much should I be budgeting for a basic (nice) wooden frame.Oil painting (roughly 2ft by 1ft) - how much should it cost to frame?
I have made my own picture frames for a few years now. I buy the basic framing materials from the hardware store and each frame has cost me anywhere from $5 to 15$ a picture. This includes all the necessary paint and fancy bits to make it look nice. I do not put glass in my frames though!





Of course a factory finished professional frame will cost more. I remember looking at one shop here in Australia that charged $90 for a 3ft by 2ft frame. This included the class insert as wellOil painting (roughly 2ft by 1ft) - how much should it cost to frame?
Arts and craft stores like Michael's - or on line stores like Dick Blick sell frames in 2 section packs so you can get the size you need. You might want to look there. I just had an oil painting professionally framed (odd size 24.5 x 21.25) with plain black wood for $130. It gets pretty pricey unless you do it yourself.
i would budget at least $125.00 for a decent frame of this size. understand though, that the quality of the frame, the width of the moulding style, type of wood used, finnish, the location you live, etc. will all be factors in the actual cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment